8.10.2012

Day Fifty-One; An apple a day

Day Fifty-One; An apple a day by Alyssa Gonzales

I am thankful for my health.

To be honest, I don’t think a lot of teens know how important health insurance is. Health insurance helps even out the balances of medical expenses. Health insurance provides coverage for medicine, visits to the doctor, and hospital expenses. In some places health insurance is a human right, for instance, Canada and the United Kingdom; however, in the United States health insurance is not provided to every individual. According to 2010 statistics, nearly 59 million Americans lack health care. 26,000 Americans died prematurely due to the fact that they did not have health insurance.  

I was just at the doctors last week for a physical and I’m glad to report that my health is near to perfect. Health is so important to watch out for, if one is not healthy, one will be at risk to illnesses and even death. I’m glad I am in good physical condition where I can run a mile and play sports. 

South Africa has the second highest HIV rate in the world, with an estimated 5.5 million people HIV-positive In KwaZulu Natal, the infection rate is as high as 39.1%.

In the Philippines  there has been an enormous increase of hypertension among Filipinos.

In Thailand, people are highly at risk of Malaria as bordered areas have high numbers of insects that causes diseases. 

In America, obesity has become a serious health problem as fast food chains continue to rise more popularity. Extra weight takes a significant toll on health. It increases the risks of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, many types of cancer, sleep apnea and other debilitating and chronic illnesses.