8.31.2012

Day Seventy-Two; Spare some change

Day Seventy-Two; by Alyssa Gonzales
I am thankful for money. 

People believe money manifests greed and causes society to become materialistic. The purpose of money is to provide the basic necessities of life. One cannot go through life without food, clothes, shelter, and water without money. I am very grateful that my parents can provide food on the tables, clothes to keep me warm, a roof over my head, and water to keep me hydrated. I am also grateful that my parents are able to pay the bills while having the ability to buy luxuries of life.

For the past two decades, the census officials have declared that more than thirty-five million Americans were poor.

In the United States today, somewhere around 100 million Americans are considered to be either “poor” or near poor.

During 2010, 2.6 million more Americans fell into poverty. That was the largest increasethat we have seen since the U.S. government began keeping statistics on this back in 1959.

The unemployment rate in the U.S. has been above 8 percent for 40 months in a row, and 42 percent of all unemployed Americans have been out of work for at least half a year.